Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Special Moment

I have a special anecdote to share with you. We just came back from visiting one of the Roma homes in a neighbouring village. Not long after we arrived, I found one of the little boys, who is in my Bible school group, bent over a colouring page, working intently. I sat down beside him to see what he was colouring. It was a nativity scene: Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus lying in a manger. The eight-year-old was concentrating fiercly, doing his absolute utmost to colour neatly, and doing a beautiful job.
The beautiful children I work with

Suddenly, he turned to me and said something in Hungarian. It took me a minute to figure out what he said. Then it dawned on me. "Kristy, do you believe in Jesus?" he had asked with the kind of sincerity that only a child can have. I smiled at him, and said "Yes, I do, and what about you?" He grinned. "Yep. And I pray to him all the time. Every night before I go to bed."

Even when we have Saturday Bible lessons, it isn't always easy to tell what faith means to these kids. They aren't like some of the Sunday school kids I have worked with before, who know most of the Bible stories by heart. But clearly faith was something this little boy was both excited about and proud of. His simple and sincere faith was touching. And our short conversation was one of the most special since I arrived here in Hungary.

1 comment: